Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Picturing Augusta: Historic Postcards from the Collection of the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System
- John P. King and Sibley cotton mills, Augusta Ga.
- New York ; Boston : Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co.
- Date of Original:
- Augusta Canal (Ga.)--Pictorial works
Savannah River (Ga. and S.C.)--Power utilization--Pictorial works
Savannah River (Ga. and S.C.)--Commerce
Cotton textile industry--Georgia--Augusta
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, Augusta, 33.47097, -81.97484
- picture postcards
- Still Image
- Early-twentieth century postcard image of the John P. King and Sibley cotton mills on the Savannah River in Augusta, Georgia. John P. King Cotton Mill appears in the foreground of the image and Sibley Cotton Mill appears in the background. The expansion of the Augusta Canal between 1872 and 1875 served to further spur the growth of the cotton manufacturing industry in Augusta. In 1880 the Sibley Cotton Mill was built on the former site of the Confederate Powder Mill. The mill was outfitted with automatic sprinklers in addition to electric lighting and provided tenement housing for its employees. At the turn of the twentieth century Sibley Cotton Mill employed approximately eight hundred Augustans. Construction began on the John P. King Cotton Mill in 1882 and the mill produced its first bobbin in October of 1883. The four story mill was headed by Charles Estes and employed approximately six hundred people at the turn of the twentieth century.
Front of postcard: "206,515. [JV. in a circle (publisher's mark)]."
Inscribed on verso: "Augusta, Ga., Aug. 21, 1910, I have just returned home. I received your card and was glad to hear from you. --Cassie Murphey"
Addressed to Miss Ella C. Mayo, Orange, Mass.
Original postcard scanned and described by the Digital Library of Georgia as a part of Georgia HomePLACE: an initiative of the Georgia Public Library Service and GALILEO.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of postcard], Augusta and Environs Picture Post Cards in Color, Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 postcard : col. ill.
- Holding Institution:
- Augusta-Richmond County Public Library