- Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection: African-Americans in the Augusta, Ga. Vicinity (Richmond Co.), circa 1872-1898
- [Photograph of a woman being baptized in or near Richmond County, Georgia, late 19th century]
- Williams, Robert E., d. 1937
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Georgia--Richmond County--1870-1910
Rites & ceremonies
Piers & wharves
Clothing & dress
Outdoor religious services
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, 33.3596349, -82.0735491
- black-and-white photographs
- Document digitized by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2000, as part of GALILEO.
This is a photograph of an African American woman in a white dress being baptized on the bank of a river. There is a crowd of people behind her looking at the river and a dock leading to a building of some sort behind them. The building is probably a shed for storing products taken in at the dock. An African American man dressed in dark clothing is supporting the woman on her left as she is dipped backward into the river from the bank. What appears to be two men in white robes are moving to support the woman on her right side, behind her on the bank. Her eyes are closed and her face is peaceful, suggesting she is confident the men will not drop her. Her arms are open wide, palms facing upward in a gesture of acceptance. The men and women in the crowd wear hats.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The material on this site is the property of the University of Georgia Libraries. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as a statement of availability pertaining to the appropriate owning institution is included in the text.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of photograph], Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library