- Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection: African-Americans in the Augusta, Ga. Vicinity (Richmond Co.), circa 1872-1898
- [Photograph of African American women washing laundry in outdoor tubs in or near Richmond County, Ga., in late 19th century]
- Williams, Robert E., d. 1937
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Georgia--Richmond County--1870-1910
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, 33.35963, -82.07355
- black-and-white photographs
- Digital image of black and white photograph taken in the late 19th century, scanned by the University of Georgia Libraries in 1999 as part of GALILEO.
Photograph of four African American women wearing kerchiefs and aprons and washing laundry outdoors in wooden tubs of boiling water. They use their hands and wooden dowels to wring and rotate the laundry, and a wooden washboard rests beside a tree trunk in the far right. A very shallow pit (for making fires to boil water?) is in the foreground, and various items of laundry hang to dry on tree branches in the backgound.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- The material on this site is the property of the University of Georgia Libraries. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as a statement of availability pertaining to the appropriate owning institution is included in the text.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of photograph], Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photoprint : b&w
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library