- Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection: African-Americans in the Augusta, Ga. Vicinity (Richmond Co.), circa 1872-1898
- [Photograph of an African American man (with pet raccoon?) and four boys eating watermelon in a yard in or near Richmond County, Ga., in late 19th century]
- Williams, Robert E., d. 1937
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Georgia--Richmond County--1870-1910
Children eating & drinking
Children & animals
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, 33.3596349, -82.0735491
- black-and-white photographs
- Digital image of black and white photograph taken in the late 19th century, scanned by the University of Georgia Libraries in 1999 as part of GALILEO.
Photograph of an African American man eating watermelon in a yard along with four boys (three standing, one kneeling) beside him. The man kneels and cradles a baby (pet?) raccoon with his left hand, and a tall white picket fence is in the background. Two hats (presumably belonging to the boys) lie on the ground to the left and right of the group.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The material on this site is the property of the University of Georgia Libraries. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as a statement of availability pertaining to the appropriate owning institution is included in the text.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of photograph], Robert E. Williams Photographic Collection, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photoprint : b&w
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library