- Lester Maddox Photographs, 1934-2000, undated
- The Pickrick Restaurant
- Date of Original:
Pickrick (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Hemphill Avenue, 33.781723, -84.404304
- Exterior view of the Pickrick, a restaurant owned by businessman Lester Maddox on Hemphill Avenue in Atlanta, Georgia.
Lester Maddox was a politician and businessman from Atlanta. He served as Governor of Georgia from 1967-1971, and as Lieutenant Governor from 1971-1975. He ran unsuccessfully in two Atlanta mayoral races in 1957 and 1961. Maddox was the owner of the Pickrick Cafeteria, and gained national notoriety and recognition when he refused to integrate the restaurant.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 105.06.13
- Metadata URL:
- 8 x 10 in. silver gelatin print
- Original Collection:
- Lester Maddox Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center