- Bernard L. Solari Photographs, 1978
- Loew's Grand Theater
- Solari, Bernard
- Bernard L. Solari Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, Ga.
- Date of Original:
Motion picture theaters--Georgia--Atlanta--History--1951-
Signs and signboards--Georgia--Atlanta
Construction and demolition debris--Georgia--Atlanta
Theaters--Fires and fire prevention--Georgia--Atlanta
Motion picture theaters--Fires and fire prevention--Georgia--Atlanta
Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)
Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)--Fire, 1978
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Cranes, derricks, etc.--Georgia--Atlanta
Margaret Mitchell Square (Atlanta, Ga.)
Park Place (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- color photographs
- View of the exterior of Loew's Grand Theater in Atlanta, Georgia during demolition, after it was damaged by fire.
Loew's Grand Theater was built in 1893 as the DeGive Opera House. It came under the management of Marcus Loew's theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Grand was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's book Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendance in the 1960's led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 8 x 10 in. color print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center