Description These photographs depict the aftermath of a fire in January 30, 1978 at Loew's Grand Theatre in Atlanta. Included are photographs of the exterior of the building, interior light fixtures, the lobby area, theater seating, and the theater stage area, all damaged by the fire., Loew's Grand Theater was built in 1893 as the DeGive Opera House. It came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Grand was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960's led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.