- Atlanta Blue Print and Graphics Company Photographs, 1961-1962, undated
- Atlanta Municipal Auditorium
- Orr, Edgar, 1892-1968
- Atlanta Blue Print and Graphics Company Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
- Cities and towns--Georgia
Social and civic facilities--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- Skyline view of the rear of Atlanta Municipal Auditorium as seen from atop a building on Butler Street (now Jesse Hill Jr. Drive).
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium originally known as the Auditorium and Armory was constructed with funds raised by a committee Atlanta citizens. Construction of the auditorium was completed in 1909 at which time President Taft made a pre-inaugural visit to dedicate the structure, he was given a "possum dinner" and the dinning hall was named in his honor. In May of 1909 the Auditorium was officially dedicated with the inaugural Atlanta Music Festival. The building was renovated in the late 1930's and re-opened in 1938 but it was partially destroyed by fire in 1940. Its rebuilding processes began in 1941 and it was re-dedicated in 1943. The building was sold to Georgia State University in 1979. It is located at Gilmer and Courtland Streets in downtown Atlanta Georgia.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 112.32.03
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 8 x 10 in. black and white print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center