Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Picturing Augusta: Historic Postcards from the Collection of the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System
- Greene St., looking east from Center St., Augusta, Ga.
- Augusta : Albion News Company
- Date of Original:
- Greene Street (Augusta, Ga.)--Pictorial works
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Monuments
St. James' Church (Augusta, Ga.)
Cenotaph Club (Augusta, Ga.)
Marble industry and trade--Georgia--Augusta
Soldiers' monuments--Georgia--Richmond County
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, Augusta, 33.47097, -81.97484
- picture postcards
- Still Image
- Turn-of-the-twentieth-century streetscape image looking east on Greene Street in Augusta, Georgia. St. James Sunday School Monument appears in the distance.
Initiated in 1865 by Martin V. Calvin, Augusta’s historian, and Joseph T. Derry, Woodrow Wilson’s first school teacher, this Confederate monument was the first in Augusta. It was erected in December 1873 by the Cenotaph Club and the Saint James Methodist Church Sunday School. Not only does it list the names of 24 fallen Sunday School members at Saint James Church, but it also lists 290 Richmond County Civil War dead as well. Constructed of marble by Theodore Markwalter’s marble works in Augusta, it rests on a granite base in the center of Greene Street.
Original postcard scanned and described by the Digital Library of Georgia as a part of Georgia HomePLACE: an initiative of the Georgia Public Library Service and GALILEO.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of postcard], Augusta and Environs Picture Post Cards in Color, Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 postcard : col. ill.
- Holding Institution:
- Augusta-Richmond County Public Library