- Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842
- Extract from the minutes of the [Georgia] House of Assembly, 1782 Jan. 12 / [prepared by] John Wilkinson
- Date of Original:
- Indian agents
Rae, James, fl. 1782
- United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- legal documents
minutes (administrative records)
- This is an extract from the minutes of the Georgia House of Assembly from January 12, 1782 prepared by clerk John Wilkinson. This extract pertains to the appointments of James Rae and Daniel McMurphy as superintendents of Indian affairs and assigns respective salaries. The extract also reveals an intention to recommend Rae and McMurphy to Congress for positions as Indian affairs superintendents over the entire Southern region.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO, funded in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Telamon Cuyler, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 1 pages/leaves
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, Telamon Cuyler, box 16, folder 01, document 02.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
House of Assembly
Jany. [January] 12th. 1782.
Resolved that James Rae and Daniel McMurphy Esquires, be appointed Superintendants [Superintendents] of Indian- affairs, and that they be recommended to Congress as Commissioners of Indian affairs for the Southern Department
The House then proceeded to fix the salaries of the Civil Officers, for the present year, viz
Superintendants [Superintendents] of Indian Affairs fifty pounds each
Commisary [Commissary] in the Nation. Sixty pounds
Linguister [Linguist] . Twenty five pounds
Clerk to the Superintendants [Superintendents] .
Extract from the minutes
[Signed] John Wilkinson C.G.A. [Clerk General Assembly]