- Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842
- Letter, 1805 Dec. 23, Washington, [D.C.] / Abr[aham] Baldwin
- Baldwin, Abraham, 1754-1807
- Date of Original:
- Creek Indians--Treaties
United States--Politics and government--1801-1809
- Baldwin, Abraham, 1754-1807--Correspondence
- United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- official reports
- This document is a letter dated December 23, 1805 from Abraham Baldwin, U.S. Senator from Georgia and first president of the University of Georgia, to an unknown recipient. Baldwin reports that the recent unnamed treaty with the Creeks (probably the Treaty of Washington, D.C., November 1805) has passed the Senate and will likely meet the approbation of the President. Baldwin requests that the recipient refrain from publishing the enclosed copy (no longer attached) of the treaty in the newspapers until the official proclamation and publication are issued.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO, funded in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Telamon Cuyler, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 2 pages/leaves
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, Telamon Cuyler, box 01, folder 10, document 01.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
Decr. [December] 23d 1805
I have the pleasure to inclose our new Treaty with the Creeks, as it has just passed the senate. It will doubtless be soon ratified in manner and form by the President and published by proclamation, I trust you will not suffer the inclosed to be published in the newspaper, till it comes out regularly.
yrs affly [yours affectionately]
[Signed] Abr [Abraham] Baldwin [added text (appears to be different hand and ink): 6 ]
Letter Honl. [Honorable]
Abram [Abraham] Baldwin
Decr. [December] 23. 1805.