Zion Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Zion Church historical marker
Creator:
Peavy, Bob
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Effingham County
Salzburgers--Georgia
Religious refugees--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Effingham County, 32.36731, -81.3413398
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Stillwell Road about 2 miles east of Rincon
Text of marker: "ZION CHURCH. Near here stood Zion Church, built by the Salzburgers some time before 1744, to serve the colonists who were rapidly settling below Ebenezer and along the road to Savannah. This was one of four Lutheran churches in the area later to be called Parish of St. Matthew. In connection with Zion church, a regular school was instituted and kept up for many years, as was the rule at all the early churches of the Salzburgers in Georgia. 051-8 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1996"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_zion-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_zion-church
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations