White Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
White Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Jackson, Edwin L.
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--White County
Church buildings--Georgia--White County
Location:
United States, Georgia, White County, Helen, 34.7014839, -83.7315675
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: church on Ga. 17 just east of Ga. 75 near Helen
Text of marker: "WHITE METHODIST CHURCH. A Methodist Church has stood on this site since the early 1820's when one was built by the first white settlers in Nacoochee Valley. Six acres of land to be used for the church and cemetery were deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1836 by Major Edward Williams at the death of his wife. Maj. Williams came to the Valley in 1822, purchased a large tract of land, built the home known as "Starlight" and lived there until his death in 1856. The first permanent building, with its gallery for slaves to worship with their masters, was painted white. Since that day the church has been known as the "White Church." 154-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_white-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_white-methodist-church
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations