Western & Atlantic Depot historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Western & Atlantic Depot historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Catoosa County
Railroad stations--Georgia--Ringgold
Location:
United States, Georgia, Catoosa County, Ringgold, 34.91591, -85.1091173
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located at the depot on U.S. 41 in Ringgold
Text of marker: "WESTERN & ATLANTIC DEPOT. This is the only depot between Atlanta and Chattanooga that has been in continuous use since May 9, 1850, when the first train ran over this end of the line. Previous to the coming of the W & A to "Cherokee Georgia," the nearest market was Augusta, 3 weeks away by ox wagon. In the early 1850s Ringgold was a bigger market than Chattanooga and large quantities of wheat were shipped from this depot. Built in 1849 of local sandstone with walls 14 inches thick, the building was badly damaged by Hooker's guns during the battle at Ringgold, November 27, 1863. It was, as may know seen, repaired with limestone block. 023-3GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_western-atlantic-depot
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_western-atlantic-depot
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations