Union Normal School historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Union Normal School historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Decatur County
School buildings--Georgia--Bainbridge
Location:
United States, Georgia, Decatur County, Bainbridge, 30.9037995, -84.5754699
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: On the grounds of Hutto Middle School, M.L.K. Jr. Blvd., Bainbridge
Text of marker: "UNION NORMAL SCHOOL. In 1927, Professor H.S. Dixon, Mrs. Marie H. Dixon and Mrs. Aurie Bell Flowers assumed duties at what was now Union Normal High School. After school closure on 31 May 1952, the Decatur County Board of Education bought the property on 13 November 1954 for $8,000. Mr. Dixon was paid with a 100x300 ft. lot on the east. In January 1955, the proceeds were divided equally among Association member churches and a Scholarship Aid Program was established a few months later. With forty years of success, it was reorganized and chartered as First Flint River Missionary Baptist Association Scholarship Foundation, Inc. in 1990. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Historical Society 2008"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_union-normal-school
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_union-normal-school
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations