The Beacon Community (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
The Beacon Community (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--DeKalb County
Communities--Georgia--Beacon
Location:
United States, Georgia, DeKalb County, Decatur, 33.7748275, -84.2963123
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Beacon Hill Arts Center, W. Trinity at Electric Ave., Decatur
Text of marker: "THE BEACON COMMUNITY. The Beacon Community was the center of Decatur's African-American community until its demolition by the Urban Renewal programs of the mid-1960s. Bounded by N. McDonough Street on the east, W. Trinity Place on the north, Waters Street on the west and Howard Avenue to the south, the area included a tight-knit residential community, schools and churches in addition to numerous African-American owned businesses. Atlanta Avenue once connected Trinity Place West (formerly Herring Street) and Howard Avenue and was the center of the African-American business district. Tyler Funeral Home is the only remaining business. The buildings on this site once housed Beacon Elementary and Trinity High Schools. They served African-American children until 1967 when the integration of the Decatur School System was completed. These schools replaced the Herring Street School that served the community from 1913 to 1956.(Continued on other side)"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_the-beacon-community-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_the-beacon-community-side-1
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations