The 1836 Fort historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
The 1836 Fort historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clay County
Fortification--Georgia--Fort Gaines
Creek Indians--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clay County, Fort Gaines, 31.6090569, -85.0471505
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Off Ga. 39 on the bluff overlooking the river in Fort Gaines
Text of marker: "THE 1836 FORT. May of 1836 the 88th Regiment of the Georgia Militia built a small fort in anticipation of an attack by the Creek Indians. The Steamer Georgian had arrived crowded with women and children fleeing from the Indian uprising at Roanoke upriver. The Steamer, Anna Calhoun was pressed for 5,000 pounds of bacon and 8 barrels of flour in order to feed the refugees and militia. The uprising was quelled before the fighting reached Fort Gaines. This was one of the last major insurgences of the Creeks before their removal to the West. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission Local Color Publishers and “Tale of the Naked Hitchhiker” 1996"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_the-1836-fort
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_the-1836-fort
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations