The 15th Corps Sector historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
The 15th Corps Sector historical marker
Creator:
Carter, Gary
Date of Original:
1956
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Battlefields
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: DeKalb Ave. between Battery Place and DeGress Ave. in Atlanta
Text of marker: "THE 15TH CORPS SECTOR. July 20, 1864. Posted on this ridge, astride the Georgia R.R. was the right flank of Hood's old corps, (Confederate) Gen. B.F. Cheatham commanding. July 22. These troops were withdrawn, before daylight, to the city fortifications. The vacated line was occupied by Logan's corps, (Union) which was reversed to face westward. Gen. Morgan L. Smith's div. centered at the R.R., Lightburn's brigade posted (between DeGress Ave. & Battery Place) west of the Hurt house; Martin's, S. of it - the R.R. cut separating them. The Confederate assault, afternoon July 22d, broke the lines of Lightburn & Martin's brigades at the Decatur Rd. & the railroad cut. 060-95 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_the-15th-corps-sector
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_the-15th-corps-sector
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations