Georgia School for the Deaf historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Georgia School for the Deaf historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Floyd County
Deaf--Education--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Floyd County, 34.2631627, -85.2142787
United States, Georgia, Floyd County, Cave Spring, 34.1076, -85.33634
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At school in Cave Spring
Text of marker: "GEORGIA SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF. In 1833, a deaf man, John Jacobus Flournoy, of Jackson County, great grandson of Jacob Flournoy, a French Huguenot, urging education for the deaf, interested Governor Wilson Lumpkin and the Georgia Legislature in this educational movement. At first the pupils, few in number, were sent to the American Asylum for Deaf and Dumb in Hartford, Conn. Distance, weather and the youth of the pupils made that unsatisfactory. On May 15, 1846, with four pupils in a log cabin, with O.P. Fannin, teacher, this school began as a part of the Hearn Manual School at Cave Spring, Georgia. This school grew rapidly and, in 1847, a brick building was erected and dedicated. Later, other additions were made. The school was closed during the War Between the States and used as a hospital by both Confederate and Union forces. It resumed operations in February 1867 and is still supported by the State of Georgia. In 1955 this school had 82 teachers and employees and an income of more than $500,000. 057-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_georgia-school-for-the-deaf
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_georgia-school-for-the-deaf
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations