Fender Cemetery historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Fender Cemetery historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Lanier County
Cemeteries--Georgia--Lakeland
Location:
United States, Georgia, Lanier County, Lakeland, 31.0410373, -83.0751471
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Junction of U.S. 221 and Ga. 37 east of Lakeland
Text of marker: "FENDER CEMETERY. A short distance East on this road is Fender Cemetery, in which are buried many of the first settlers of the area of old Lowndes County lying East of the Alapaha River, from Union Church. This location for the Cemetery was chosen because of the inconvenience of ferrying the bodies of the dead across the river for burial. As the grounds were on lands of David Fender, the cemetery was given his family name. The earliest marked grave is that of Josiah Sirmans, one of the organizers of Union Church, who died Jan. 6, 1830. Fender Cemetery was first in Lowndes, then in Clinch, and is now in Lanier County. 086-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_fender-cemetery
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_fender-cemetery
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations