Emerson historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Emerson historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Bartow County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Emerson
Location:
United States, Georgia, Bartow County, 34.23786, -84.8405
United States, Georgia, Emerson, 34.127043, -84.755492
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Emerson Municipal Building on Ga. 293 in Emerson
Text of marker: "EMERSON. Named for Joseph Emerson Brown, Gov. of Ga., 1857-1865, U.S. Senator, 1880-1891. Known as Stegall's Station prior to 1889; site of the Bartow Iron Works. May 20, 1864: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's forces [CSA] camped here after retreating from Cassville and burning the highway and R.R. bridges over the Etowah. Having heard that Sherman's forces [USA] had moved southward from Kingston toward Dallas, Johnston resumed his march on roads that converged there, May 23d, 24th. Allatoona, scene of Oct. 5, 1864, battle, is 2 mi. E. 008-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_emerson
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_emerson
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations