Elbert County historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Elbert County historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Elbert County
Counties--Georgia--Elbert County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Elbert County, Elberton, 34.1112226, -82.8670839
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Elbert County Courthouse, Elberton
Text of marker: "ELBERT COUNTY. Created from Wilkes County by Act of Dec. 10, 1790, Elbert County was settled in 1784 by Gen. George Mathews and a group from Virginia and Carolina. The site of Petersburg, the original settlement and third largest town in Georgia in its day, is covered by the Clark Hill Reservoir. Nancy Hart, celebrated Revolutionary patriot, lived in this county. Elbert County was named for Gen. Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary soldier and Governor of Georgia (1785-1786). A native of South Carolina and resident of Savannah, he was a meember of the Council of Safety and fought at Savannah (1778) and Brier Creek (1779). On Jan. 20, 1791, the first session of Elbert County Superior Court was held at the home of Thos. A. Carter on Beaverdam Creek, some 5 miles N.W. of here. George Walton, Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence, was presiding judge. The Carter plantation house stands today. Nearby is the family cemetery. First officers of Elbert County were: Matthew Talbot, Clerk; Robert Middleton, Sheriff; Robert Cosby, Collector of Taxes; W. Higginbottom, Register of Probate; Thos. Burton, Receiver of Tax Returns; Richardson Hunt, Surveyor; James Tate, Coroner. 052-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_elbert-county
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_elbert-county
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations