Drexel Park historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Drexel Park historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Lowndes County
Public spaces--Georgia--Valdosta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Lowndes County, Valdosta, 30.83334, -83.28032
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Brookwood and N. Patterson Streets, Valdosta
Text of marker: "Drexel Park. In 1916 five prominent Valdosta businessmen and civic leaders--William S. West, Lowndes W. Shaw, Leonard F. Shaw, Daniel C. Ashley, and Owen K. Jones--donated 11 acres to the city to create a public park. The deed stipulated that the property could only be used as a park. A section was set aside in 1925 for construction of the Woman's Building, still an important social and civic center for women's organizations and activities. Originally named Brookwood Park, the land was renamed in 1979 for Richard J. Drexel, a landscape architect who served from 1925 to 1959 as the city's first Superintendent of Parks. 2001.1 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Lowndes County Historical Society, and the City of Valdosta 92-1"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_drexel-park
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_drexel-park
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations