Dorsey historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Dorsey historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Morgan County
Communities--Georgia--Dorsey
Location:
United States, Georgia, Morgan County, 33.5908249, -83.4923823
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Dixie Highway just west of where Hightower Road crosses the railroad tracks and intersects Dixie Highway
Text of marker: "On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of DORSEY. As early as 1839, historic maps identify a community called Palestine in proximity to the community that became known as Dorsey. Located on the route traveled by the Georgia Railroad between the cities of Madison and Rutledge, Dorsey was located on the old Dixie Highway. Post office records indicate that it was a community of two- to three-hundred residents, and it boasted of a store and a cotton gin, as well as two churches and schools for both white and African American children. Though many of the civic structures associated with this community are no longer extant, numerous small family cemeteries in the area outline the boundaries of this former community. Dorsey was also the location of a Section Line for the Georgia Railroad. This small brick house served as a residence for the railway maintenance foreman. Smaller houses served as residences for the section hands and their families. BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THIS COMMUNITY, DORSEY IS RECOGNIZED AS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF OUR COUNTY HISTORY"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_dorsey
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_dorsey
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations