Doc Holliday County Courthouse historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Doc Holliday County Courthouse historical marker
Creator:
Massar, Todd
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Spalding County
Holliday, John Henry, 1851-1887
Location:
United States, Georgia, Spalding County, Griffin, 33.2467807, -84.2640904
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 232 Broad Street, Griffin
Text of marker: "DOC HOLLIDAY. County Courthouse. Between 1852 and 1856, "Doc" Holliday's father, Henry, served as the first county clerk for the newly created Spalding County. Prior to the Civil War, Henry Holliday owned numerous properties across Spalding County. Many of these properties were sold to fund the Holliday family's move south to Valdosta during the war. One of his properties would eventually be deeded to the Confederate Army and a repurposed as a training ground for Georgia Troops. Holliday's land would be renamed Camp Stephens in recognition of Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. Construction of this building was completed in 1860, four years after Henry Holliday resigned his position as county clerk. However, as landowners, both Henry and "Doc" performed official business within this building. John Henry inherited property on Solomon street at the age of 21. According to local stories, that property would serve as the space for his dental practice. Courthouse records show "Doc" Holliday signing for receipt and sale of this property before heading West. The sale of this property in 1873 is the last time "Doc" is documented as having visited his hometown."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_doc-holliday-county-courthouse
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_doc-holliday-county-courthouse
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations