Deepstep United Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Deepstep United Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Jackson, Edwin L.
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Washington County
Church buildings--Georgia--Deepstep
Location:
United States, Georgia, Washington County, Deepstep, 33.0182076, -82.9690333
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Deepstep Rd. in Deepstep
Text of marker: "1805 DEEPSTEP UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. Traces its beginnings to a Methodist Society held at home of pioneer William Hicklin around 1805, and the 1825 Hicklin Meeting House Roll with 32 members recorded by Rev. Tillman Snead, early Methodist pastor. First deed found in 1832 settlement of Reuben N. Hicklin estate: "1 acre reserved for Meetinghouse". After the Civil War a frame building replaced the peeled log original; in 1901 the present sanctuary was built. The cemetery is site of an area-wide camp meeting begun by Rev. J.D. Anthony in 1878 and attended yearly by the thousands until 1900. Five members have entered Methodist ministry: Loy G. Veal, Griffin Thompson, Willis H. Moore, E.G. Hutchings, Jr., Larry A. Giles. Alexander deeded the land to Capt. John Irvin Giles, CSA, his only son to survive the War Between the States. On Nov. 25, 1864, Sherman's men camped here and destroyed all of the farm except the house. The pioneer family rebuilt and their descendants have owned the land on these four corners of Giles Cross Roads for 200 years. NO. 20 SOUTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 2000"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_deepstep-united-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_deepstep-united-methodist-church
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations