Dames Ferry historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Dames Ferry historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Monroe County
Ferries--Georgia--Monroe County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Dames Ferry
Location:
United States, Georgia, Monroe County, 33.0138973, -83.9186821
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 18 at Old Dames Ferry Road, just east of U.S. 23
Text of marker: "DAMES FERRY. In 1808, widow Mary Green Dame and her six children settled in Jones County. Two sons, George and John, builders by trade, built a house on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. Zachariah Booth owned and operated the first ferry here. It was probably built by George and John Dame. John Brooking Dame married two of Booth's daughters. First Polly in 1811, then Mildred in 1815. He also bought Booth's Ferry in 1838. A community grew up around this ferry and was called "Dames Ferry". Dames Ferry had several stores, a church, homes, school, bank, a grist and planer mill, a U.S. Post Office (1884-1958) and a Central of Georgia Railroad depot. The ferry and a fishery was operated by the Dames until it was sold to S.M. Hodge in 1872. The ferry was replaced by Sam A. Hodge bridge in 1962. The ferry was moved to Macon County in 1964 to become Georgia's last operating public ferry. 102-9 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1986"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_dames-ferry
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_dames-ferry
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations