Confederate Flag Pole historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Flag Pole historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Early County
Flagpoles--Georgia--Blakely
Location:
United States, Georgia, Early County, Blakely, 31.3776754, -84.934092
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Early County Courthouse in Blakely
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE FLAG POLE. This flag pole [no longer standing] from which the Stars and Bars proudly flew is the last original Confederate flag staff still standing in Georgia. The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. It was hauled by a yoke of oxen into Blakely and erected where it now stands by Thomas Williams and others on MAY 16TH, 1861. 049-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-flag-pole
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-flag-pole
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations