Confederate Cemetery historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Cemetery historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cobb County
Confederate cemeteries--Georgia--Marietta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, Marietta, 33.952602, -84.5499327
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located outside the old Marietta/Confederate Cemetery on Powder Springs Rd. in Marietta
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE CEMETERY. Burial of Confederates killed in a railroad collision, September, 1863, on land given by Mrs. Jane Glover, established this cemetery. Later more land was given by Ann Moyer and others, and the [CS] dead here from Marietta hospitals and the Kennesaw battlefield were interred here. In 1866 Georgia provided funds to move her dead here from the Chickamauga area, under the direction of Miss Mary J. Green and Mrs. Charles J. Williams of the Georgia Memorial Association. Soldiers from every southern state rest here, and annual Memorial Day exercises are a custom of long standing. 033-107 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-cemetery1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-cemetery1
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations