Confederate Cemetery historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Cemetery historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cobb County
Confederate cemeteries--Georgia--Marietta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, Marietta, 33.952602, -84.5499327
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located in the old Marietta/Confederate Cemetery in Marietta
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE CEMETERY. 3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of Miss Mary J. Green and Mrs. Charles J. Williams of the Ga. Mem. Assn., bodies were moved here from the Chickamauga area. Land for the cemetery was given by Mrs. Jane Glover, Ann Moyer and other citizens of Marietta. A cannon, which served Ga. Military Inst. from 1852 to 1864, was used by the Confederate army, captured by Sherman's forces, held as a trophy of war until 1910, and then placed in this cemetery. 033-106 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-cemetery
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-cemetery
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations