Confederate Battery historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Battery historical marker
Creator:
Jackson, Edwin L.
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Glynn County
Confederate States of America. Army--Ordnance and ordnance stores
Location:
United States, Georgia, Glynn County, 31.2132418, -81.4936976
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Horton Rd., Jekyll Island
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE BATTERY. In 1861, Confederate battery positions on Jekyll Island were equipped with one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy guns en barbette, each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell. Casemates, hot shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also. Of greater strength than batteries on St. Simons Island, the earthworks of palmetto logs, heavy timber, sandbags, and rail-road irons were mounted for the protection of Brunswick. February 10, 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee requested permission from Gov. Joseph E. Brown to dismantle the stronghold as "the inhabitants of the island and Brunswick have removed themselves and property" to inland points. Maj. Edward C. Anderson re-moved the guns, sending them to Savannah. March 9, 1862, Lt. Miller of the USS Mohican landed a rifle company and marines, hoisting the Union flag over the island. In January, 1863, to strengthen fortifications at Port Royal, S.C., a Federal force was sent by flatboat to seize the railroad irons. Some of the men who had helped build the defenses guided the detachment to them and "the men enjoyed demolishing them far more than they had relished their construction." 063-38 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-battery
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-battery
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations