Community House historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Community House historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Bryan County
Historic buildings--Georgia--Richmond Hill
Location:
United States, Georgia, Bryan County, Richmond Hill, 31.9382652, -81.3034433
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located in front of the Carter Funeral Home at 10512 Ford Avenue (Ga. 144) in Richmond Hill
Text of marker: "COMMUNITY HOUSE. Outside of their expansive home on the Ogeechee River, this is the single most imposing structure built by Henry and Clara Ford during their sojourn in Richmond Hill from 1926 to 1951. Built by local labor in 1936 near the Ways Station School, the Community House served residents in the enhancement of their educational, social and cultural development. Cooking, home economics, sewing, dancing and other activities were taught at no cost to adults and children alike. Local social activities were held here, many attended by the Fords themselves."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_community-house
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_community-house
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations