Coldwater Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Coldwater Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Elbert County
Church buildings--Georgia--Elbert County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Elbert County, 34.1167933, -82.8400955
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Coldwater Creek Rd. S.E. of Nuberg, off Ga. 77
Text of marker: "COLDWATER METHODIST CHURCH. In the late 1770's, a large caravan of Virginians, including a Methodist preacher, traveling south in search of a new home, settled in this neighborhood. In the company were the Adams, Alexander, Banks, Cunningham, Fleming, Anderson, Gaines, Johnson, Teasley, Tyner, Stower and Brown families. At once they built a place of worship with loopholes for defense against Indians. In this "Meeting House," Bishop Francis Asbury, leader of early American Methodism, preached from time to time. His remark - "This is indeed cold water." - after drinking from the nearby spring gave the church its name. The second house of worship was of lumber sawed on Coldwater Creek by Ralph Gaines. The three Adams brothers - Hiram, James, and Lawrence - joined him in erecting the building. Destroyed by fire in 1883, it was replaced by an exceptionally beautiful rural church. The fourth building, started in 1947, was dedicated August 29, 1947 by Rev. Horace Smith, District Superintendent. Of ten memorial windows in this church, two are dedicated to Howell Gaines Adams and Nick Drewry Carpenter, who fell in battle in World War II. 052-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_coldwater-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_coldwater-methodist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations