Clinton Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Clinton Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Jones County
Church buildings--Georgia--Clinton
Location:
United States, Georgia, Jones County, Clinton, 32.9987469, -83.5554494
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: West edge of Clinton at the Dames Ferry Road
Text of marker: "CLINTON METHODIST CHURCH. This is the first Methodist church and the second church established in Jones Country. Land was appropriated in 1810 and July 14, 1821 a deed to the Clinton Methodists was made effective. The church was "a frame house of good dimensions with substantial stone steps of native granite." A gallery for slaves was removed in 1897. The chandelier and brass wall brackets originally held kerosene lamps. This church was among the first to organize a foreign missionary society. Among the early pastors were Dr. Lovick Pierce and Rev. James Payne, 1836. 084-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_clinton-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_clinton-methodist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations