Cleveland historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Cleveland historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--White County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Cleveland
Courthouses--Georgia--Cleveland
Location:
United States, Georgia, White County, Cleveland, 34.5970402, -83.7632366
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Old White County Courthouse in Cleveland, on U.S. 129 and the intersection with Ga. 115
Text of marker: "CLEVELAND. When White County was formed in 1857, Mt. Yonah was selected as the County-seat. The majority of its residents wished to rename it Sheltonville for William H. Shelton, who sponsored the formation of the new county. Shelton asked that it be named Cleveland for his good friend and mentor, Benjamin Cleveland, who served 6 terms as representative, 8 terms as senator from Habersham County and was Brigadier-General from 1820 to 1826. Built of hand-made brick by slave labor, the White County Courthouse is modelled [sic] after Independence Hall in Philadelphia. 154-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_cleveland
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_cleveland
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations