City Hall & Old Capitol historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
City Hall & Old Capitol historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Bibb County
Historic buildings--Georgia--Macon
Location:
United States, Georgia, Bibb County, Macon, 32.84069, -83.6324
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Macon City Hall on Cotton Avenue at First Street in Macon
Text of marker: "CITY HALL & OLD CAPITOL. The Macon City Hall, built in 1837 for the Monroe Railroad & Banking Co. and since remodeled, served from Nov. 18, 1864 till March 11, 1865 as temporary Capitol of Ga. Here Gov. Brown had his office and convened the last session of the Ga. legislature under the Confederacy. Here the March session of the Supreme Court was held in 1865. The building was also used as a military hospital from the battle of Chickamauga in 1863 until the close of the war. A picket on guard at the portico was shot when Fed. Gen. Wilson entered the city on April 20, 1865. 011-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_city-hall-old-capitol
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_city-hall-old-capitol
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations