Chestnut Grove School historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Chestnut Grove School historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clarke County
African American schools--Georgia--Athens
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 610 Epps Bridge Parkway, Athens
Text of marker: "CHESTNUT GROVE SCHOOL. The Chestnut Grove Schoolhouse was established in 1887 to meet the educational aspirations of Black children. It was built and equipped by local Black farmers. The land was donated by a Black farmer named Floyd Kenny, who could not read or write. On July 30, 1896 the school was purchased by the Clarke County Board of Education for $100.00 and continued to operate until 1950. In 1956, the Board of Education sold the building and land to Chestnut Grove Baptist Church for $500.00. The schoolhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#84003873) in 1984. There was a dedication Ceremony held on May 5, 2001 at the Chestnut Grove School, 610 Epps Bridge Road in Athens, Georgia."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_chestnut-grove-school
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_chestnut-grove-school
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations