Cherokee County Gold historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Cherokee County Gold historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cherokee County
Gold mines and mining--Georgia--Cherokee County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cherokee County, 34.2439294, -84.4762027
United States, Georgia, Cherokee County, Canton, 34.2367621, -84.4907621
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Cherokee County Courthouse, Canton
Text of marker: "CHEROKEE COUNTY GOLD. Cherokee County, located along Georgia's goldbelt, figured prominently in the gold rush of the 1830's and 40's. Several mines operated along a five mile area near the Etowah River in the northeastern part of the county, including the Franklin-Creighton, Sandow, and latham Mines. More than 30 other small placer mines extended southwesterly across the county and included the Sixes Mine, worked earlier by the Cherokees. After the 1860's, most gold mining operations in the county either slowed or ceased. The most successful and the most sophisticated, the Franklin-Creighton, continued operations until 1913, when a shaft collapsed and the mine was flooded. 028-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1988"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_cherokee-county-gold
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_cherokee-county-gold
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations