- Georgia Historical Markers
- Cherokee County historical marker
- Jackson, Edwin L.
- Date of Original:
- Historical markers--Georgia--Cherokee County
- United States, Georgia, Cherokee County, 34.2439294, -84.4762027
United States, Georgia, Cherokee County, Canton, 34.2367621, -84.4907621
- Location: Public Square in Front of the Courthouse, Canton
Text of marker: "CHEROKEE COUNTY. Created December 3, 1832 from Cherokee Indian lands, and named in memory of the Cherokees. Early settlers tried to start silk production, but were not successful, and today there remains no trace of this except Canton, hopefully named for the Chinese silk center. The Marietta and North Georgia Railroad reached Canton in 1879, providing a considerable stimulus to development. The locally financed and managed textile mill, which began operations in 1900, has provided a payroll of much local importance. 028-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953"
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Holding Institution:
- Digital Library of Georgia