Charlton County historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Charlton County historical marker
Creator:
Hair, Keith
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Charlton County
Counties--Georgia--Charlton County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Charlton County, Folkston, 30.8305102, -82.0098375
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Charlton County Courthouse, Folkston
Text of marker: "CHARLTON COUNTY. Created by an Act of February 18, 1854 out of Camden County, Charlton County was named for Judge Robert M. Charlton of Savannah. Trader's Hill (Fort Alert), an important shipping point and head of navigation on St. Marys River, was the first County Site. In 1901, Folkston became the County Site after the Savannah, Florida & Western RR was in operation. The first County Officers, elected in April, 1854, were: Daniel R. Dedge, Sheriff; J.H. Oliver, Clerk of both Courts; Francis M. Smith, Ordinary; John E. Gibson, Tax Receiver; J.H. Bessant, Surveyor; James S. Bennett, Coroner; Louis N.G. Strickland, soon replaced by H. Roddenberry, Tax Collector. 024-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_charlton-county
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_charlton-county
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations