Cemetery Square historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Cemetery Square historical marker
Creator:
Jackson, Edwin L.
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Baldwin County
Cemeteries--Georgia--Milledgeville
Location:
United States, Georgia, Baldwin County, 33.06928, -83.24959
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: South Liberty and West Franklin Streets in Milledgeville
Text of marker: "CEMETERY SQUARE. This square was reserved for public use in the city's original survey and became the site of early church buildings. One hundred yards south of this point is a stone marking the site of the first Methodist Church erected in Georgia west of the Oconee River, in 1805. The earliest graves date from this period. Near the church site is a lot containing graves of legislators who died during legislative sessions in Milledgeville. None appear after 1845 when rail transportation became available. Those legislators who died in Milledgeville were: Senators, William W. Baker, Liberty Co., 1826; Nathaniel Bradford, Crawford Co., 1841; Robert Brown, Murray Co., 1838; Jonathan Lewis, Burke Co., 1834; George Galphin Nowlan, Effingham Co., 1816; Alexander M. Sanford, Bryan Co., 1843; James Thompson, Walker Co., 1840; and Representatives, John Bell, Decatur Co., 1827; Jacob Hentz, Baker Co., 1845; Aaron Jones, Lee Co., 1834; McLin Lunday, Screven Co., 1834; James Spalding, McIntosh Co., 1820; and Horatio Webb, Jackson Co., 1840. 005-28 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_cemetery-square
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_cemetery-square
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations