Camp McDonald historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Camp McDonald historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cobb County
Confederate States of America. Army
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, 33.9414626, -84.5766729
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: West side of U.S. 41 about 100 yards north of Dobbs Drive
Text of marker: "CAMP McDONALD. To the east were the parade grounds and tents of Camp McDonald, established by Governor Joseph E. Brown, June 1861, to train citizens for the defense of the Confederacy. Here Phillips Legion, and other Georgia units trained, then rendered valiant service to the southern cause. The camp closed in the late fall of 1861 but reopened in 1862 and 1863 to train more troops for the Confederacy. Sham battles and parades here attracted large and appreciative audiences. 033-35B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_camp-mcdonald
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_camp-mcdonald
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations