Callaway Gardens (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Callaway Gardens (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Harris County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Harris County, 32.7360042, -84.9089882
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Callaway Gardens Information Center, U.S. 27
Text of marker: "CALLAWAY GARDENS. Callaway Gardens was founded in 1952 by Cason Callaway, Sr. and his wife Virginia Callaway, for the purpose of preserving the native flora of the southern United States in a natural setting for the public to enjoy. At one time, this area was marginal farm land, depleted of its natural beauty and vegetation by overuse. The Callaways rebuilt this land into 2,500 acres of trees, shrubs and flowering plants. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE IDA CASON CALLAWAY FOUNDATION 1980"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_callaway-gardens-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_callaway-gardens-side-1
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations