Bethlehem Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bethlehem Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Elbert County
Church buildings--Georgia--Elbert County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Elbert County, 34.1167933, -82.8400955
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Just off Ga. 72 about 12 miles southeast of Elberton
Text of marker: "BETHLEHEM METHODIST CHURCH. Bethlehem Methodist Church, second oldest Methodist Church in Georgia and formerly known as Thompson's Meeting House, sponsored the First Methodist Annual Conference in Georgia, on April 9, 1788. Bishop Asbury and his party, delayed by weather and illness, held the meeting, scheduled for the church, in the home of Judge Charles Tait. Richard Ivey, Thomas Humphries, Moses Parks, Hope Hull, James Connor, Bennett Maxey, Isaac Smith, Matthew Harris, Reuben Ellis, John Mason attended the conference. Several Revolutionary soldiers are buried near the church. 052-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bethlehem-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bethlehem-methodist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations