Bethany Baptist Church (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bethany Baptist Church (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Harris County
Church buildings--Georgia--Pine Mountain
Location:
United States, Georgia, Harris County, Pine Mountain, 32.8648522, -84.8540982
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location 285 Bethany Church Road (off Ga. 18) just west of Pine Mountain
Text of marker: "BETHANY BAPTIST CHURCH. Bethany Baptist Church was chartered on Sept. 8, 1828. The six charter members were James Garrett, Levin Collins, Uriah Jones, Lucy Garrett, Catherine Simmons and Mary Jones. The first pastor, John W. Cooper, served from 1828-1847. In 1847 the current building was constructed on a 7.5-acre parcel deeded by plantation owner, Joel Culpepper. Slaves attended with white families and were accepted as members. All "colored brethren" were granted letters of dismission in 1885 to constitute their own church, also named Bethany. In 1887, 37 members were granted letters in order to establish Chipley Baptist Church (now First Baptist of Pine Mountain). (Continued on other side) ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF HUBERT CHAMPION (1913-2007) BETHANY MEMBER FOR 77 YEARS"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bethany-baptist-church-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bethany-baptist-church-side-1
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations