Bethany historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bethany historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Effingham County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Bethany
Location:
United States, Georgia, Effingham County, 32.36731, -81.3413398
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Stillwell-Clyo Road at the northeast corner of Bethany Road
Text of marker: "BETHANY. The settlement of Bethany was effected near here in 1751 by John Gerar William DeBrahm, His Majesty's Surveyor General for the Southern District of North America. Comprised at first of 160 Germans, the group was joined 11 months later by an equal number of "Relatives and Acquaintances". A commodious church edifice was built, also a school house and a residence for the teacher. Bethany was in existence until the Revolution, but during that war it began to decay, and was never rebuilt. 051-7 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1988"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bethany
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bethany
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations