Ben Hill County historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Ben Hill County historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Ben Hill County
Counties--Georgia--Ben Hill County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Ben Hill County, Ftizgerald, 31.71491, -83.25265
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located on Ben Hill County Courthouse Square, Fitzgerald
text of marker: "BEN HILL COUNTY. Ben HIll County, created by Act of July 31,1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), "one of America's greatest orators." A staunch supporter of the administration in the Confederate Senate, after the War Between the States, he was an influential member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. First officers of Ben Hill County, commissioned Jan. 5, 1907, were: C.M. Wise, Ordinary; D.W.M. Whitley, Clerk Superior Cout; W.H. Fountain, Sheriff; E. Gibbs, Tax Receiver; W.L. Smith, Tax Collector, J.H. Goodman, Treasurer; Oscar Barron, Surveyor; William McCormick, Coroner. 009-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_ben-hill-county
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_ben-hill-county
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations