Bellville historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bellville historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Evans County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Bellville
Location:
United States, Georgia, Evans County, 32.156763, -81.8868846
United States, Georgia, Bellville, 32.152414, -81.974284
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located at Railroad Depot at intersection of Ga. 292 and Ga. 169, Bellville
Text of marker: "Bellville. This town, named for area pioneer Frances Bell Smith, was founded in 1890 on property owned by Pulaski Sikes Smith, John M. Wood, and Benjamin Berrien Brewton in then Tattnall County. Town lots were platted adjacent to the newly laid tracks of the Savannah & Western Railroad. The railroad depot, constructed soon after the tracks were laid, served as the town's center of commerce and social activity. Bellville rapidly gained importance as a regional transportation hub for agricultural and timber products such as cotton, naval stores, and lumber, and as the home of Bellville Academy, established in 1890. 2000.8 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Bellville 54-1"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bellville
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bellville
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations