Beards Creek Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Beards Creek Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Tattnall County
Church buildings--Georgia--Tattnall County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Tattnall County, 32.0457484, -82.0581759
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: N.E. from Glennville on E. Hencart to just W. of Long County
Text of marker: "BEARDS CREEK CHURCH. The Beards Creek Church was orderly constituted on December 29, 1804, by the Rev. John Gooldwire, the Rev. John Standford, the Rev. Isham Peacock, and the Rev. David Hennesy, all orderly Baptist ministers. Jacob Dees and Moses Westberry were that day ordained Deacons, and the Rev. David Hennesy was called to be the first Minister. Nathan Smart was Clerk. Organizing members were: John Dees, John Taylor, William Willcox, Samuel Thornton, Levi Morgan, Robert Bruer, James Thomas, Ezeceal Thornton, John Overstreet, Seth Knight, Nathan Smart and John Purcell. The church was constituted near the site of the present edifice. On November 26, 1896, Beards Creek Church, with seven others, became an organizing member of the Bethel Primitive Baptist Association. During the years since it was constituted, many of the Baptist churches in the surrounding area have originated from the Beards Creek Church. 132-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_beards-creek-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_beards-creek-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations