Beall Springs historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Beall Springs historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Warren County
Springs--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Warren County, 33.4089634, -82.6767617
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Beall Springs park off Ga. 16 south of Warrenton
Text of marker: "BEALL SPRINGS. Beall Springs has faithfully produced chalybeate (ka-lib-e-at) water for centuries. Chalybeate water is characterized as water containing iron salts. In addition to iron, Beall Spring water contains nine other minerals. First frequented by Indians who used the water for curative purposes the springs were ceded to the state in 1773. After cession the land was acquired by the Beall family who allowed public access. The springs have been in continuous public use ever since. In the nineteenth century Beall, Madison, Indian, Porter, Rousseau and Catoosa Springs as well as many others became popular resort areas. These "watering places" became great social centers and vacation spots as well as escape areas from the fever ridden lowlands. Beall Springs was the host to Confederate Vice-President Alexander Stephens and Senator Robert Toombs as well as other notables when watering places were in vogue. 149-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1972"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_beall-springs
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_beall-springs
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations